Simple instructions to follow for teaching riding lesson students the basics of holding the reins. This lesson plan is part of Rider Medals Level 2: Beginner I. Accompanying worksheets are also available, as is a quiz to re-test the rider’s knowledge. This lesson also pairs well with our Beginner I – Journal.
This lesson plan covers:
- holding the reins properly
- understanding the concept of keeping their wrist straight
- hand turned up so their thumb is on top
- finger placement on the reins
- finding the correct rein length
- bridging the reins
- adjusting the rein length
- pressure of the fingers on the reins
- how much pressure the horse feels
- holding the reins in relation to the horse
Download any of our paid content in one easy payment.
If you already have an All Access pass please Log In